Collections Management and Exhibit Assistant
The Manager of Exhibits and Collections seeks to hire a summer student to assist with new exhibit/curatorial initiatives for Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame from May – August 2017. The student, under the supervision of the Manager of Exhibits and Programming, is responsible for assisting with aspects of improving access to Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame collections and assist with the changeover of a permanent exhibit at Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
- Learn appropriate artefact handling, packing, storing methods to prepare artefacts coming off display to be returned to lenders or to properly store in Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame collections.
- Learn to do appropriate paperwork and condition reports for artefacts entering and leaving our museum on loan or as return of loan.
- Learn how to use our Past Perfect 5 database to catalogue, update, locate, and identify collection items for use in exhibit projects.
- Learn how to accession collections properly according to organizational standards, including doing all necessary paperwork.
- Learn to dismantle and install exhibits.
- Learn how to access research materials related to our Honoured Members and artefacts and use the information to select artefacts to put on display and write exhibit text.
- Assist with the set-up and running of special events at Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
- Assist in education programs and at Visitor Services as needed.
- Meet regularly with the Manager of Exhibits and Collections to ensure all deadlines and guidelines are being met as well as to ensure students are properly supported within their roles.
- Students must be attending a post-secondary program full-time
- Preference will be given to History, Archeology, Anthropology, Sports-related studies, and Museums Studies students
- Good interpersonal skills and computer knowledge using MS Office is required
- Knowledge of PastPerfect database is an asset but not required
- Previous experience handling artefacts is an asset but not required
- Strong writing skills is an asset
- Fluency in French an asset but not required
- Students will be required to provide or obtain a valid vulnerable sector police check
Application Deadline: April 24, 2017
Start date to be May 8, 2017. End date to be August 25, 2017. Dates subject to funding.
Job Equity: Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame is committed to the principle of equal opportunity. As an employer Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates within the scope of each job opening. Applications are welcomed from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal people.
Submit your resume and cover letter in one document to:
Helena Deng, Manager, Exhibits and Collections
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame
169 Canada Olympic Rd. S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T3B 6B7
or via e-mail: [email protected]
Reporting to the Development Coordinator, the Facility Rental Event Hosts will be outgoing, energetic and reliable. We are looking for people who enjoy working at events at Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame on a part-time/casual basis.
- On-site events for 3 - 6 hours with the possibility for late evenings, depending on the event.
- Assist catering with the set-up of an event as required.
- Properly handle and set-up required AV equipment and furniture.
- Meet and greet people.
- Inform guests about Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
- Other duties as required.
Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree or be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution. Related experience strongly encouraged.
- Strong understanding of technology and ability to trouble shoot basic AV concerns.
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Experience with event hosting and special events an asset.
- Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Outgoing, approachable, patient and friendly.
- Flexibility to handle last minute changes to event.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to move and lift up to 50 lbs (23 kg).
- Vehicle is an asset.
Rate of Pay: $13.00/hour
Submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Ruth Cowan, Development Coordinator
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame